Science Teacher Requirements – The Requirements For Teaching Science in the US

Science teachers in the U.S. are responsible for teaching classes at the elementary or secondary level in subjects that include science, physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology, and more. In general, to obtain certification to teach science or any of these subjects, you must meet one of the following requirements:1. Hold a science related bachelor’s degree and successfully complete a state teacher education program or2. Complete an education program in a science related discipline undergrad degree program.You will also likely be required to pass the PRAXIS series of teaching exams.Many current science teachers in the United States possess 4-year degrees in science related fields like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Zoology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, or Molecular Biology. After completion of these programs, graduates must successfully pass the PRAXIS II exam. It is at this point that you can be accepted into a teacher training program where you will be required to complete supervised student or practice teaching. Finally, once you have completed your courses in education and practice teaching, the final evaluation is the PRAXIS III which includes live classroom skill evaluations and interviews both before and after your observation.If you are currently in or are going to college, you will have to complete science core courses plus a required number of education related courses.If you are currently an undergrad and would like to teach science, options include Paraprofessional Education and Elementary Education degrees which are offered by many state colleges and universities as supplemental programs. There are also acceleration and Post-baccalaureate science teaching programs available including Masters of Arts programs in Secondary Science Education. As for accelerated programs, students are required to hold at least a 2.5 grade point average and complete preparation courses. For example in Texas, where Science teachers are in high demand, there is a requirement of twenty-four hours of advanced science prep courses and you must have a minimum GPA of 2.75. In accelerated teacher preparation programs, you can get paid internship while on a probationary or provisional certificate.If you are foreign teacher and would like to teach in the United States, you will need at least a degree that is considered equivalent to one in from a United States education program. You will likely be required to provide credentials and receive a statement from the state education department proving you are eligible or employment or to take the required examinations. If you are currently in a country where English is considered a second language, you will also be required to pass either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Finally, you must obtain a recommendation or a letter of consent from the school district that would like to hire you or the education board.

» Tags:

Comments are closed.